Requirements for all works submitted for The Blue Show
– works must be 2 dimensional. If your work has 3-dimensional elements, it must be able to be hung on a wall relatively easily.
– your first submission is free of charge, but any additional submissions after that will be $5 each.
– works submitted after the deadline (March 21) will be charged an extra $10 late fee.
– all fees are payable on intake day (March 20 and 21) and can be made in cash, cheque (made out to Rain City Illustration) or ILLN bucks.
– if you wish to include your business card with your submission, please do!
– we recommend mounting or framing works on flat paper, as loose sheets of paper tend to look sloppy and unprofessional on a wall. You want to put your best foot forward, as it will benefit yourself and everyone involved.
– works that are deemed irrelevant to the theme of the show may be rejected. The colour blue is a great theme that is open for many creative interpretations. That said, if you submit a work that is, for example, completely red and has no blue in it whatsoever, we may choose not to include your work in the exhibition. This decision will be up to the discretion of Rain City Illustration admins, and any rejected works will have all submission fees refunded to the artist 100%.
All artists participating in the show MUST submit labels. If you do not submit your information on our handy labelling form (which we will be posting shortly), your work will be hanging in the gallery without any credit given to you. As you can imagine, this is an undesirable situation, as nobody will have any idea who created the beautiful artwork that you worked so hard to make. We will be posting the labelling form on this website, our Twitter page, our Facebook page, and our Tumblr. Labels must be submitted by March 21. Late label submissions, or label submissions made outside of the proper format will not be accepted.
Some notes about prints
We encourage you to submit some prints to be kept at the Ayden Gallery for the duration of the show and made available for sale. There is a 50% commission on all sold works, including prints, and the standard price is usually $30.00. We will be putting prints in a portfolio case that is already at the gallery, but anything exceeding the size of 13 inches by 19 inches will have to be stored in the back, as our display has some size restrictions.
You may submit up to 5 copies of the same print, and your prints do not have to be relevant to the theme of the show. The Ayden Gallery may choose to keep some prints in their stock until they sell them, even after the show has wrapped.
When submitting prints to us, please put them all together in a manila envelope or folder with your first and last name on it. This will dramatically increase everyone’s quality of life during the exhibition setup process.
When you drop off your work on intake day (March 20/21) you must also drop off a filled out consignment form from the Ayden Gallery. This is the contract between you and the gallery that states that if your work is sold, you are entitled to 50% of the revenue. This is a very important legal document. We will be posting printable versions that you can fill out and hand in, and we will also have some copies at our table on intake day in case anyone forgets. Everyone who wishes to sell their work (or any prints) must fill these forms out.
Although we do our best to ensure that no works are lost or damaged, accidents do sometimes happen and these things are not always under our control. Although it is a rare occurrence, Rain City Illustration is not liable for any artwork or prints that are lost or damaged. If your work is especially delicate or large, we strongly encourage you to bring it to the gallery on the day we are setting up to install it yourself (of course, we will be there to help you too). Which brings me to my last point!
Volunteer Sign Up
We are anticipating a high volume of work in this show, and we will need some volunteers to help on setup day. The work you’ll be doing will be hanging artwork and placing labels. It’s fun, there will be music, sushi, and awesome people, and you get a sneak preview of all the work! If you want to volunteer, just email any of us at email@example.com or let me, Michele, Flavia, Pedro or Jane know in person! Volunteers will get ILLN bucks for their time and dedication, and these are redeemable for later submission fees.
WHEW! Alright. Enough rules. We can’t wait to see everyone’s fantastic work! Thank you if you read all of this, you beautiful, responsible human beings.