What is it?
It can be described as the science of fitting the human body, work related tasks and work tools. In essence, everything we do in the workplace is related to ergonomics and as such, there is a risk of injuries called Musculoskeletal Injuries (muscular or soft tissue damage) that can result from a number of factors either chronic or acute, such as:
- Posture (poor, awkward equipment design or shape, overreaching etc)
- Overexertion or excessive force
- Contact stress
- Duration of exposure
The Safety & Security Manager can provide ergonomic assessments for computer workstations or other tasks.
- Computer workstation setup
- Stretch poster
- How to make your computer workstation fit you
- Back talk
- How to prevent lower back pain
Cornell University Ergoweb has many useful resources on this topic. Here are some useful links:
- University of Cornell Ergoweb main page
- University of Cornell Ergoweb self help computer workstation tips